I absolutely love granola for breakfast. The problem with most store-bought granolas is that they are packed with sugar and baked in bad oils to get that crispy crunch, we all love. The best way to make sure you are eating a healthy granola for breakfast is to make it yourself. This recipe is straight from my F.I.T. programs and tastes delicious. It's gluten free and contains no processed sugar. It's also baked in healthy coconut oil, so you still get the tasty crunch without the bad fat.
2 1/2 cups unsweetened desiccated (shredded) coconut
1 cup of quinoa flakes
1/4 cup of natural almonds, roughly chopped
1/4 cup of pepitas
1 1/4 tbsp. of chia seeds
1 1/4 tbsp. of flaxseed (linseed) meal
1 1/4 tbsp. of ground cinnamon
1 1/4 tbsp. of extra virgin coconut oil, melted
1 1/4 tbsp. of coconut nectar
1 large apple, grated
1. Line a baking tray with baking paper and preheat oven to 120 degrees (250 Fahrenheit)
2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well until combined.
3. Spread muesli mixture evenly onto a tray and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
4. At 20 minutes, turn the mixture, place back in the oven and bake for another 15 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
5. Enjoy 1/4 muesli with a 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk.
NOTES: You can cook the recipe up in bulk and store in an airtight container.