It's nearly summer here in Australia, which means one very important thing. It's BBQ season!!! I absolutely love the food at summer, fresh salads and fresh seafood on the bbq. This coriander and lime prawn recipe is straight from my F.I.T. program and is an all time favourite. Cook it up on the bbq, accompany it with a fresh salad and you have yourself the perfect summertime meal. This meal is that good, it can actually be enjoyed any time of the year.
Coriander and Lime Prawns
• 3/4 cup (15g/0.5 oz.) coriander (cilantro) leaves
• 2 tbsp. (30 ml/1 fl. oz.) extra virgin coconut oil
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 1/2 stem lemongrass, bruised, thinly sliced
• 1 small red chilli, deseeded, thinly sliced
• 1 lime, juiced
• 250g (8.8 oz.) prawns (shrimp), peeled (tails left intact), deveined
• 1/2 English cucumber, deseeded
• 1/2 avocado, peeled, diced
• 1/2 cup brown rice, cooked
• Fresh limes, to serve
1. Finely chop the coriander leaves and combine 1/2 cup of the coriander with the oil, garlic, lemongrass, chilli and the majority of the lime juice in a
ceramic dish. Make sure to leave some coriander and lime juice for the salad.
2. Add the prawns to the marinade and stir until all the prawns are coated. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, using a vegetable peeler, peel long thin strips from cucumber. Combine cucumber, avocado, remaining coriander leaves and the remaining lime juice in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Preheat a greased barbecue plate on medium/high heat.
4. Remove prawns from marinade. Barbecue for 1-2 minutes each side or until pink and just cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Arrange a serve of the prawns and cucumber salad on a plate with a serve of brown rice and fresh limes.
NOTES: Use leftover prawns and cucumber salad for lunch the next day. Top up with more vegetables if needed
What's one of your favourite summer dishes? Leave me a comment below.