I love eating salads, especially in the warmer months, because they so are easy to make and don’t leave me feeling sleepy. Experimenting with new combinations and trying new recipes is something I love and this is one that I have been really enjoying lately.
This roasted vegetable, rocket and walnut salad is not only easy to make, it’s also packed full of nutrients, low GI and completely delicious!
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into even chunks
- 1 medium beetroot peeled and cut into smaller chunks (It takes longer to cook!)
- 1 large red onion cut into thin wedges
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 bunch of baby rocket, washed
- ? cup unsalted walnuts, toasted
- 10 cherry tomatoes, washed
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (plus some for roasting the sweet potato)
- 1 Tbsp. orange juice
- 2 tsp. wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp. honey
- Pre-heat your oven to 200°C and prepare a tray by lightly oiling it. Place sweet potato and beetroot out on the tray, leaving enough room to add the onion later. Season lightly with some salt/pepper and then cook for 15 minutes.
- Flip the vegetables over and then add the onion wedges to the tray and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the sweet potato and beetroot has softened. Then set aside to cool for approximately 20 minutes.
- Toss rocket, tomatoes, chickpeas and toasted walnuts together in salad bowl and then add roasted veggies.
- In a jar, or dressing bottle, combine olive oil, orange juice, honey, mustard, a pinch of salt and shake well.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and then serve either as a side to grilled chicken, fish or tempeh or you can enjoy it just as it is!