During these warmer months it can be nice to have a cool, healthy and light breakfast ready to enjoy when you wake up, and this is one of the reasons I occasionally enjoy Bircher muesli. It is so quick and simple to make, and can be prepared the evening beforehand so that it is ready for you when you have a busy day planned.
Traditionally Bircher muesli recipes often include natural yogurt, which is packed full of good bacteria, however today I would like to share with you the completely dairy free version that will suit my vegan and lactose intolerant friends, and is absolutely delicious regardless of your dairy preferences!
This recipe makes enough for 2-3 servings, depending on how much fruit you add and how big you like your breakfasts, however this recipe keeps well in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 medium apples (I like one red and one green - but this is up to you!)
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup dried cranberries/ currants
- 4 dates, chopped finely
- 1 Tbsp. shredded coconut
- 1 Tsp. cinnamon
- ? cup almond milk
- Wash your apples and then grate them with the skin on, making sure you catch all the juice.
- Place the oats, coconut, nuts, dried fruit and cinnamon into a bowl or sealable container
- Add apples, plus the juice, and mix well.
- Pour over almond milk until the mixture is covered.
- Cover and store in fridge overnight
- Serve with fresh fruit, extra nuts or more almond milk, to suit your preference. Enjoy!