BBQ’s are a great way to enjoy the warmer summer months, and a fantastic way to enjoy them with friends! The char grill method adds flavour to most vegetables and meats and is a healthy lean way of cooking. These BBQ chicken and veggie skewers are easy to make and can be adjusted to suit your personal preferences and those of your friends and family’s too.
- 500g lean chicken breast
- 1 green zucchini
- 5 yellow squash
- 10 button mushrooms
- 1 medium red capsicum, deseeded
- 1 large Spanish onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. chicken stock (vegetable stock is fine)
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 kaffir lime leaf finely chopped
- 10 BBQ skewers
- Mix soy sauce, stock, honey and kaffir lime in a bowl and set aside.
- Slice chicken into even, bite sized chunks and then cover in the marinade and let sit.
- Slice zucchini, squash, capsicum and onion so they are similar in size to the mushrooms.
- Start feeding the chicken and vegetables onto the skewers, alternating the vegetables so they are all even. Dribble any remaining marinade over the skewers.
- Cook over BBQ, turning regularly, until chicken and vegetables are cooked through. They will smell fantastic!
- Serve with a few different salads, or just enjoy as is!
You can substitute the chicken for lean beef, prawns or even eggplant or tempeh. If you can create a variety of both vegetarian and meat skewers, you are bound to impress your guest when you are entertaining!