Okay, this recipe I am about to share with you is definitely up there in my favourites list. Not only is it delicious and nutritious, it looks fabulous and will impress even the most discerning of your food critic friends! It also happens to be vegan friendly and gluten free, which means no one has to miss out!
- 2 long eggplants, of even thickness
- 4 medium tomatoes, of similar thickness to eggplant
- 1 Tbsp. rock salt
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley and chives
- 600gm cooked chickpeas
- 2 tbsp. Tahini paste
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large lemon juiced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (plus more for backing)
- 1 Tbsp. gluten free tamari sauce
- Slice the eggplant into circles of about 1 inch thickness and then place in a bowl and add salt. Mix together so that the eggplant is covered in salt and set aside for 15 minutes (This removes any bitter liquid).
- Rinse salt from the eggplant and then pat dry with paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and then prepare a baking tray by lightly oiling it.
- Lay the eggplant out over the tray, making sure they don’t overlap, and bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare hummus, by combining chickpeas, olive oil, tamari, lemon juice and garlic in a food processor. You want the mixture to be thick, however if it is too thick you can add water in small amounts until you have the right consistency.
- Slice tomatoes in even slices to match the thickness of the eggplant.
- On a serving plate, arrange by first putting down an eggplant layer, adding some hummus, then tomato, then eggplant and so on, so that each stack has two eggplants and two tomatoes. Finish each one with hummus on top and sprinkle with fresh herbs.
- Enjoy! :)