As the cooler months come back around, our bodies naturally crave warmer and more filling foods to keep us going. This spicy black bean chili is perfect for just this! It is easy to make and freezes well so you can have some delicious and nutritious meals for those days over the next couple of weeks when you don’t have enough time to spend cooking.
- 1 x 420g can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 small red capsicum, deseeded and cut into small chunks
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small bunch of coriander, washed and chopped (¼ cup)
- 1 Tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 & 1/2 tsps. Cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper (adjust to suit your heat preference)
- Half an avocado
- Wedge of fresh lime
- Heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan over a low heat, add onion and garlic and lightly cook for 2 minutes then add capsicum.
- Add half the beans and then mash the remaining beans using a fork before adding them. Stir well.
- Add stock, vinegar, cumin, cayenne pepper and most of the coriander (keeping some for garnish). Stir well and the cover and let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Cut the avocado into slices. Ladle some soup into a bowl and serve with avocado, coriander and a lime wedge op top.