Salads are up there in my fave foods because you can get so creative with them, they can be tailored to suite my needs AND they leave me feeling nourished and fulfilled. However MY salads have to be flavourful and delicious, and part of what makes that happen is the different dressings I make to enjoy on them.
Salad dressing has often had a bad rap as being an unhealthy and unnecessary accompaniment of your garden greens, and this is true of dressings thick with cream and sugars. However fresh made salad dressings, that use ingredients such as olive oil, vinegar, tahini and lemon juice, are not only a delicious way of enhancing the flavour of your salad, they also add nutritional value!
Most people know how to make a simple vinaigrette, so I thought I would share with you three slightly different dressings that I love!
Sensational Strawberry Dressing
- 1 cup of strawberries
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Honey
- 1/4 tsp. Rock salt
- Mix the strawberries, honey and vinegar in a bowl, cover and then let sit for 30 minutes.
- Combine the strawberry mixture with the remaining ingredients and blend in a processor until it becomes sauce like in texture.
Sweet Tahini Dressing
- 1/4 cup tahini (mix 1 Tbsp. water to this to make it easier to use)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil (extra-virgin is best!)
- 2 Tbsp. Honey
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp. Rock salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Mix all ingredients together in a processor, or a jar, blending or shaking until well combined. Alternatively you can whisk in a bowl.
Sesame & Tamari Dressing
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Tamari (soy sauce will also work)
- 1 Tbsp. Honey
- 1 Tbsp. Toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp. Freshly grated ginger (from a jar is also fine)
- Blend in a processor or whisk together in a jar, then store in fridge