I love my salads, and when my favourite garden vegetables and herbs are combined with a good protein source it makes for a perfect evening meal. This healthy Thai beef salad recipe has tang and spice, and is packed full of flavour.
- Lean beef rump steak, (about 600g)
- 1 large Lebanese cucumber cut lengthwise, then halved and cut into thin strips
- 10 grape tomatoes, cut in halves
- 1 medium red onion, cut in half then sliced
- 1 medium red chilli, deseeded and sliced finely
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Small bunch fresh mint leaves (tear the large ones in half)
- Small bunch Thai basil (tear the large ones in half)
- Small bunch fresh coriander leaves
- 3 kaffir limes, remove the centre vein and slice thinly
- 2 tsp. Fresh ginger, grated
- 1/3 cup toasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 & 1/2 Tbsp. Fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. Fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Honey
- 2 tsp. Sesame oil
- 1 tsp. Tamari
- Prepare the dressing by whisking the lime juice, tamari, sesame oil, fish sauce and honey together. For extra spice, add a few of the chilli slices.
- Place the steak in a small bowl and drizzle half the dressing over it, let it marinade for up to 2 hours so that is retains the flavours.
- Using a BBQ grill or a chargrill pan, heat to a high temperature then cook steak for a few minutes on each side until it is cooked the way you like it.
- Cover and let sit for 10 minutes then slice thinly.
- Combine cucumber, tomato, onion, chilli, peanuts and herbs into a large bowl. Add steak slices, drizzle with the remaining dressing and then gently toss.
Enjoy as soon as it is prepared for that fresh flavour!