Having goals is a sure way to challenge yourself to succeed and advance in specific areas. Psychologists have run thousands of studies that all indicate that if you need extra motivation in advancing your fitness, business or personal life, then setting goals is the best way to achieve it!
But it isn’t just about setting goals, it is about the steps you take to follow them through. So here are my top 6 strategies for helping you achieve your goals!
- Go Big - Setting goals that really challenge you have been shown to be more motivating and therefore more likely to encourage you to take action towards achieving them. This is not to say you cannot have little goals along the way… But why not go big!? Set yourself a big goal with some ‘smaller’ milestones to achieve along the way!
- Be Prepared For A Challenge - Expect to be challenged. If it was going to be a walk in the park your goal would be as simple as getting to the other side of the park! If you are working towards a big goal, then expect to be challenged along the way. That is all part of the learning/growing process!
- Brain Storm Potential Obstacles - Because you expect to be challenged, it is a good idea to brainstorm some potential obstacles that you may come across along the way. This way you can pre-plan how you might approach or manoeuvre past them should they arise!
- Organise Your Environment - Create a supportive environment that will not only motivate and encourage you, but will also help you avoid stumbling. For example, if you want to work towards looking fabulous in your dream wedding dress, make your environment encouraging. Hang a picture of it up where you can see it, make a workout roster, get rid of all the junk food from your house and have lots of pre-made healthy snacks available for snacking on!
- Feed Your Motivation With Inspiration - The people you choose to spend time with can really impact upon your ability to achieve the goals you set out for yourself. Try to hang out with goal setting go-getters, because this attitude is infectious. Plus a little healthy competition can help motivate you to work harder!
- Cultivate Willpower - Willpower is an incredibly important factor when it comes to staying on track as you work towards achieving your goals. Funnily enough, this ‘willpower’ is very much like a muscle. You have it, it is there… You just need to exercise it to keep it strong! If you need a little help in this area, consider downloading some mindfulness meditations to help get you on track.
And last but not least, when you achieve your goals...Set yourself another one! Having goals to work towards is a healthy way to keep you motivated and working towards the things you are passionate about.