Oven baked foods are great choices for these cooler months, and this delicious recipe for stuffed zucchinis is both gluten free and vegan, so it makes a great food choice when you are not familiar with your guests dietary requirements!
- 2 medium zucchinis, halved length ways
- 200gm chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small tomato, halved then sliced finely
- 6 medium mushrooms, 4 chopped, 2 sliced
- Small handful of parsley finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. Ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin
- Rock salt and ground pepper to taste
- Prepare the oven at 180c and lightly oil a shallow baking tray/dish.
- Scoop out the centre of the zucchinis so that there is room to stuff them, set the insides aside and then lay the shells face up on the tray.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan over a medium heat and cook the onion until it starts to turn clear, then add garlic and cook for an extra minute.
- Stir in the 4 chopped mushrooms and remaining zucchini and cook for a further 5 minutes before turning off the heat.
- Add the chickpeas, lemon juice, coriander, cumin and half the parsley, stir and then add salt and pepper to suit your taste.
- Scoop mixture into zucchini shells and then lay slices of tomato on two of the halves and slices of mushrooms on the other two.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until zucchinis are tender, then sprinkle with remaining parsley and serve.
I enjoy these with a side salad and a dash of my homemade vinaigrette, enjoy!