Being sensitive to starchy carbs I am always excited to find a recipe that uses vegetables instead. This paella recipe uses cauliflower instead of rice, and is the perfect dish for entertaining guests.
- 1 chicken breast, any fat removed and cut into small pieces
- 1 chorizo sausage, sliced into thin slices
- 200 gm green prawns
- 200 gm mussels
- 100 gm calamari rings
- 1 large cauliflower, leaves removed
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp, fresh parsley
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. Rock salt
- 1/2 tsp. Paprika
- Pinch of saffron
- 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- Prepare the cauliflower by washing thoroughly and then cutting into chunks before putting in a food processor and blending until smooth, then set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a paella pan or large flat fry-pan and cook chorizo until slightly browned, then remove and cook the chicken in the same pan, until cooked through, then remove.
- Using the same pan add the onion, garlic, capsicum and tomato and stir for about 3-5 minutes, or until the onion is cooked.
- Add the cauliflower, chicken broth, salt, pepper, paprika, saffron and stir well once, then allow to simmer.
- In a separate saucepan boil water and then add the mussels and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from water and discard any that didn’t open.
- Once the cauliflower starts to soften and has turned yellow from the saffron, add the calamari and prawns, stirring once then allowing to simmer. Cook until prawns turn pink.
- Add chorizo, chicken and mussels around the top, decorate with lemon chunks and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve whilst hot, enjoy!