There are so many fish cake recipes out there and some of them I have found are fantastic, whilst others … Well let’s just say not so much! I love a good fish cake, but it has to taste fresh, not be too oily and be packed full of herby goodness! So this is why I am sharing this golden recipe with you, because it ticks all of my boxes, so I hope it ticks yours as well! :)
- 450 gm. of any firm white fish of your choice
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, diced finely
- 2 Tbsp. Sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp. Sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot flour
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce (make sure it is GF)
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1 lime for zest and juice
- 1 lemon in wedges
- Large handful of fresh coriander
- Rock salt and pepper to taste
- Combine ginger, garlic, shallots, coriander, lime zest and lime juice into a food processor and pulse until well mixed.
- Chop up the fish into smaller pieces before adding to the other food in the processor and pulse again until well combined.
- Add half the sesame oil with half the seeds, the fish sauce, paprika, arrowroot flour and a pinch of salt and pepper, then lightly pulse once more to combine. Try not to blend too much, just make sure there are no large chunks of fish left.
- Use your hands to form mixture into patties (about 6-8) and set aside ready for cooking.
- Heat a large non-stick fry pan and add the remaining sesame oil, cook them for a few minutes on each side, until they are a deep golden brown.
- Remove and sprinkle with sesame seeds and paprika then allow them to rest on paper towel lined plate
- Serve with lemon chunks and enjoy them just as they are, or with your favourite salad!