Having some delicious snacks available to munch on for an energy boost, or to help calm your rumbling tummy, is a really handy thing. This is why I like to prepare snacks such as these delicious granola bars, because they keep well, taste amazing and give me that much needed protein and energy hit I need.
The great thing about this recipe is that it is fairly basic, and can be enhanced using your favourite dried fruits, or even some crushed dark chocolate!
- 1 & 1/2 cup of rolled oats (opt for GF if you need to)
- 1 large cup (yep, heap it up!) of pitted dates
- 1/2 cup raw nut combination (I suggest almonds, walnuts and pecans)
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup (agave works too!)
- 1/4 cup natural peanut or almond butter
- 2 Tbsp. Sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp. Flax seeds
- 2 Tbsp. Hemp seeds
- Toast your nuts with your oats in an oven on 180c for about 10-15 minutes (make sure they don’t burn underneath!)
- Chop dates into fairly small chunks using a food processor (by hand is also fine, but it will take some time)
- Using a small saucepan, heat nut butter and sweetener (honey/maple/agave) until it has a pouring consistency and then pour over nut and oat mixture. Combine well using spoons of your hands.
- Transfer onto a small dish lined with greaseproof paper, make sure it is evenly spread then cover with move greaseproof paper and then press down using a flat object such as a spatula or a book. This is to pack it in tightly.
- Chill in the fridge or freezer for half an hour
- Remove from dish and peel off paper. The cut into even sized bars (it should make between 8-10 bars), then store in an airtight container ready for you to snack on! - Enjoy!