I love finding healthy, low GI foods that will satisfy my taste buds whilst helping me feel fuller for longer. This new take on the traditional cottage pie uses sweet potato and cauliflower instead of potatoes, and the result? Delicious!
- 500g lean mince beef
- 1 large sweet potato (about 500gm), chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 small head of cauliflower
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 400g can tomatoes, crushed
- 2 Tbsp. Milk
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup grated cheese (optional)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180c/160c fan-forced.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot, stirring for 3-4 minutes until onion has softened.
- Add mince, using your spoon to break apart. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until the mince has browned.
- Add tomatoes, paste, Worcester sauce, and parsley and bring to the boil, before reducing the heat and simmering for a further 20 minutes. The sauce should be thickened by then. Set aside.
- Boil sweet potato in a saucepan of water until soft, in the meantime chop the cauliflower into very small pieces (you can do this by ‘pulsing’ in a blender)
- Drain the sweet potato and then return to saucepan and mash.
- Add the milk, cauliflower and a pinch of salt and pepper, mixing well.
- Pour mince mixture into baking dish and then smooth the sweet potato mix over the top. Sprinkle with cheese
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until golden on top.
- Serve with your favourite side salad and enjoy!