Tomatoes are packed full of vitamin C and vitamin A, as well as many other nutrients, which is one of the reasons I love these diverse fruits (Yep, it is considered a fruit!). These oven roasted, stuffed tomatoes are both delicious and satisfying, so they can make a great main, side or snack!
- 4 large vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 large shallot, sliced finely
- 4 mint leaves, chopped
- 2 sprigs of parsley, stems removed and chopped
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 35g low-fat feta, crumbled
- 20g currents
- 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon powder
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat the oven to 180c and prepare a baking tray by lining it with non-stick baking paper.
- Wash the tomatoes then slice off the top to each one, putting them aside to use later.
- Scoop out the centres of the tomatoes and put into a bowl, then sieve the juice out from this, as we will use that later. (you will need about ¼ cup tomato juice)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rice, feta, parsley, mint, shallots, currents and reserved tomato juice together, and season with a pinch of rock salt and pepper.
- Divide mixture between the 4 tomatoes and stuff them full and place them on the prepared baking tray. Spray lightly with olive oil and then bake for 10 minutes.
- Replace the tomato tops back onto the tomatoes and spray once more lightly then cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with a simple rocket salad, or any salad of your choice!