If you are trying to think of the perfect celebration cake recipe, then this could be just what you are looking for! This gluten free cake as no added oil or butter and uses the natural sweetness of honey to give it it’s sweet taste. It really does melt in your mouth. So yummy!
- 1 & 1/2 cup whole almonds, toasted (for best results, toast almonds in the oven yourself!)
- 4 large eggs, separated (these should be at room temperature)
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp. Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- Natural yogurt and strawberries to serve
- Preheat your oven to 180c. Lightly oil a springform pan (9 inch is ideal), then line it with baking paper and again lightly oil the paper.
- Use a processor to finely blend the almonds into a powder.
- Beat the egg yolks with the honey, vanilla extract, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl until well combined
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk the egg whites, using an electric mixer, until it is foamy, but not stiff, and has doubled in volume.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the almond mixture and then spread cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean (try not to overcook it!)
- Allow to sit for a further 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Cooling completely on a cooling rack/plate and then when you are ready to serve, slice and serve with fresh strawberries and natural yogurt.