Baked beans are a fantastic source of fibre and protein, plus they are low GI, so a meal of beans for breakfast will help fuel you throughout your day. The downside it that the baked beans you buy in the supermarkets are usually packed full of sugar and sodium and just don’t taste as wholesome and delicious as the real thing. So I thought I would share with you a healthy, home-style baked beans recipe that once you have tasted, you will never want to go back to shop bought again!
- 420g can of ‘no added salt’ cannellini beans (kidney or butter beans are also yummy)
- 400g can of ‘no added salt’ diced tomatoes
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. ‘no added salt’ tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. salt reduced tomato sauce/ or BBQ sauce (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. Smoked paprika
- Olive oil spray
- Lightly spray a non-stick saucepan with olive oil then cook the onion and garlic together, over a medium heat, until it has softened and turned transparent.
- Add the tomato paste as well as the paprika and continue to stir for about a minute, before adding the can of tomatoes, the tomato sauce and the Worcestershire sauce and bringing to the boil.
- Turn the heat right down, and simmer until it thickens slightly.
- Add your choice of beans and continue to stir until they are heated through.
- Serve hot, with a poached egg, some fresh avocado and rocket… Or basically however you fancy them!