As someone who avoids gluten, I can appreciate just how difficult it can be finding a delicious cake recipe that everyone is able to enjoy, - whether they prefer gluten free or not! So if you have a special party, or birthday coming up, then this delicious gluten free chocolate cake could be just what you are looking for!
- 180g dark chocolate, broken up into pieces
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup sifted quinoa flour
- 4 eggs, separated
- 125g coconut butter
- 1 Tbsp. Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 & 1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 160c (if fan force, only 140c) and prepare a round springform tin with baking paper.
- Melt the chocolate, coconut butter, and vanilla in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. (Remember not to let the water touch the bowl or overflow into it as the chocolate will go lumpy!) Stir until well combined, then remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the almond meal, sugar, quinoa and cocoa powder and stir until well combined.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, stirring them in before adding the next.
- Whisk the remaining egg whites together in a bowl until the egg whites form white peaks and then gently fold half of them into the chocolate mixture, before adding the remaining egg whites.
- Transfer the mixture into the cake tin and bake in the oven for approximately 35 minutes, or until cooked through (try not to overcook it as it is more delicious when moist!)
- Remove and place on a cooling rack for cooling. You can dress it up with a sprinkle of desiccated coconut, and serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt and fresh strawberries. Enjoy!