I’m loving this new recipe for mini pizzas, using eggplant instead of pizza dough. Not only are they incredibly delicious and easy to make, they look fantastic and you can play around with the toppings just like you would with a normal pizza!
What you need:
Basically your favourite pizza toppings, such as fresh tomatoes, kalamata olives, fresh basil and some grated mozzarella cheese as well as a couple of eggplants. You can choose your eggplants depending on the size pizzas you want to create, for example, small bite size pizzas can be made from long purple eggplants, whilst slightly bigger ones can be made from the darker, round eggplants.
How to assemble your creation:
- Slice your eggplants to make circles of approximately 2 cm thick, discarding the ends, then place them on foil lined tray, and grill them for approximately 2-3 minutes, or until golden on one side.
- Remove the tray and turn the eggplants over so the cooked side is on the bottom.
- Start to decorate your eggplant. I like to use spicy homemade chutney as my paste, then I add olives, fresh basil, some sliced mushroom and then I sprinkle a little mozzarella on top!
- One they are ready, put the tray back under the grill and allow to cook until the cheese is melted and turning golden.
- Carefully remove from the tray and serve!