It is that festive time of the year again when delicious decorated treats are in high demand. So I thought I would share with you a delicious gingerbread cookie recipe that all my fellow gluten intolerant friends (and those that aren’t) can enjoy!
- 2 & 3/4 cups Almond meal
- 4 pitted dates (pre-soaked)
- 1 egg white
- 50 ml coconut oil (macadamia or virgin olive oil works too)
- 40g raw honey (maple syrup or molasses also work)
- 1 tsp. Vanilla bean extract
- 1 tsp. Ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Baking powder (GF)
- 1/4 tsp. Ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. Ground ginger
- 50g melting white chocolate (GF)
You will also need some grease proof paper, a rolling pin and some cookie cutters. They are not actually essential (you can improvise!) however they will make the process much easier!
- Combine the almond meal, spices, baking powder and dates in a food processor until it forms a crumbly consistency.
- Add the coconut oil, honey, vanilla bean extract and the egg white and process once more so that dough like consistency forms.
- Scoop the dough out and flatten it between two pieces of baking paper, using your rolling pin, until it is about 3 mm thick.
- Refrigerate for an hour (or place in a freezer for 20 minutes) to allow the dough to firm up.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and pre-set the oven to 150c.
- Remove the greaseproof paper from the dough and cut them into your desired shapes. It’s all yummy, so try to get creative with any off cuts!
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden and firm, then remove and allow them to cool.
- Melt your white chocolate and decorate as you like!