I am really into zoodles (noodles made from vegetables) at the moment! They are so easy to make, go with any of my favourite sauces, and they leave me feeling satisfied without feeling full or bloated.
This recipe is a healthy bolognese sauce on simple zucchini zoodles, trust me, it is delicious!
Ingredients: (You will need a spiral slicer or julienne slicer to prepare the zoodles)
- 450 gm lean beef mince (crumbled tofu also works well as a vegetarian option!)
- 3-6 zucchini (depending how many you are cooking for) washed and the tops removed
- 3 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large can, diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 3 tsp. Sea salt
- 1 tsp. Dried basil
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
Making The Magic:
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, adding the celery, carrots, onion and garlic and stirring well.
- Sprinkle over ½ tsp of salt and cook until the vegetables start to soften (about 5 minutes)
- Add mince (or tofu) and combine well so that the meat is broken up. Continue to cook until lightly browned.
- Add tomatoes, basil and another ½ tsp. Salt.
- Cover and bring to the boil, then uncover and turn the heat down low, letting the sauce simmer for about 30 minutes (stir occasionally)
- Pre-heat your oven to 150 c, then use your spiral peeler to turn your zucchini into noodles.
- Spread your zucchini out over a large baking tray, sprinkling with the remainder of the salt and bake for 25-30 minutes. When cooked, remove and use paper towels to squeeze out any remaining liquid (wait until cooled slightly and be careful not to burn yourself!)
- Divide zoodles out into bowls and then ladle some sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle with parmesan, serve and enjoy!