We all love to hear about how the foods we have been enjoying up until now, actually contain amazing health benefits so are great in moderation (for example dark chocolate!). I have always wondered about red wine, as I had heard that it is good for your heart and therefore good for your health, so decided to do a little research. This is what I found out:
- Red wine contains phenolic compounds that work to prevent the occurrence and growth of cancerous cells.
- Red wine contains a compound called resveratrol which is believed to help slow the aging process and help prevent certain diseases.
- Red wine is rich in antioxidants, which may help prevent coronary heart disease.
- Red wine, like all wine, contains alcohol and alcohol in excess (which is considered more than a glass a day) is unhealthy, especially for your liver and brain.
- Red wine is high in sugars, which means it is high in calories
If you enjoy drinking a glass of red wine in the evening, then there are some health benefits that can be gained from it. However as with all alcohol, the key is moderation!