Looking for a delicious and hearty breakfast to warm you up over the colder months? This grain free porridge uses raw ground nuts as the base and is so moreish, you will be wanting it long after winter has passed!
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 apple, finely chopped (red or green is fine)
- 1 & 3/4 cups organic coconut milk
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. Cinnamon powder
- Pinch of nutmeg powder
- Pinch of salt to taste
- Place coconut flakes with the raw nuts in a medium sized bowl, and fill with water until they are all covered. Add a pinch of salt (optional) then mix together before covering the bowl and setting aside to soak overnight (minimum of 7 hours).
- Rinse the soaked nuts until the water becomes clear, then add them to a processor with the banana. Blend until it forms a rough breadcrumb like texture.
- Heat coconut oil in a saucepan over a medium heat, then add the chopped apple and nutmeg. Saute until the apple begins to soften.
- Then add the coconut milk, cinnamon, vanilla extract and the banana-nut meal you prepared earlier. Stir in until thoroughly combined.
- Continue to stir over the heat until it has become thick and creamy (about 5-7 minutes).
- Serve in a bowl and add some extra apple, nuts or a splash of your favourite nut milk.