When it is cold outside, I crave a nice hearty meal that will warm me and leave me feeling satisfied, without giving me that bloated overfull feeling. This is one of the reasons I favour zoodles, as opposed to any grain variation noodle.
If you are looking for a nice protein rich, hearty meal that is gluten free, then try this delicious tuna zoodle casserole.
You will need:
- 3 large zucchinis
- 2 celery stalks, chopped finely
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped finely
- 300g tinned tuna (spring water or brine) drained
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup whole egg mayonnaise (I prefer one with no additives or sugar added)
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut flour (tapioca starch or almond flour also work)
- 3 Tbsp. Chopped chives
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Mustard (Choose type depending on your spice preference)
- 1/2 tsp. Pink Himalayan rock salt
- 1/2 tsp. Chilli powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
Making your masterpiece:
- Preheat your oven to 180c and lightly spray a shallow casserole dish and set aside.
- Use a spiralizer or ribbon cut your zucchinis into noodle strips (note: they are going in a casserole, so don’t worry too much about the aesthetics!), then use a paper towel to squeeze out any excess water.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the tuna, mayonnaise, mustard, garlic powder, pepper and 2 Tbsp of the chives (leave the remaining Tbsp for serving), then set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, adding the onion, celery and salt and cook until the onion turns translucent.
- The add the coconut flour and coconut milk and stir until all the flour clumps have broken down and it starts to thicken slightly.
- Add the zucchini noodles and toss until well combined. Cover then cook for 1 minute before removing from the heat.
- Add this zucchini mixture to your tuna mixture and combine them together.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish and then sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the edges start to brown.
- When cooked, serve with a side salad of your choice and sprinkle with chives