Finding time to exercise, and on a regular basis, can be quite challenging. Balancing time between work, family and social commitments often leaves us with little time for ourselves. So this just makes it all the more important to make the most of your exercise time!
1- 2 days per week - If you only have 1 or 2 days available in which you can dedicate time to exercising, then it is important that you make those days really count!
- Allow for a longer workout period (1 hour+) so that you can systematically work through your whole body.
- Push yourself to a higher intensity and really make yourself work in that time.
- If you only have two days in the week in which to exercise, try to space them apart so that you can really push your whole body twice a week, whilst allowing your muscles time to recover in the days in between.
3-4 days per week - If you have 3-4 days a week to workout, fantastic!
- If possible, try to space the days out so you have a rest day in between. This enables you to focus on specific body areas on any one day, whilst also working the other areas.
- Aim for 45+ minute workouts.
- Try breaking the workouts up so that you can focus some of the time on resistance training, and the remainder on cardio training, e.g. 15-minute jog and a 30 minutes weights session.
5-7 days per week - If you are fortunate enough to be able to set a little time aside each day for exercise then your body will thank you for it. However, it is important to remember not to over do it!
- Incorporate some of the days as active recovery days, where you might spend that time swimming, jogging or practising yoga or pilates.
- Mix it up! You don’t want to roster in two consecutive ‘leg days’, otherwise you will struggle walking because you are not giving your muscles enough time to recover. Alternate different focus areas and types of training (e.g. resistance vs cardio) on different days.
If you find that your commitments change from week to week and that you often find yourself having to skip the gym or exercise class, make yourself up a quick workout you can do anywhere, anytime. Not sure where to start? Follow me on Facebook @emilyskymodel to receive my focused workouts that I post regularly!