I love using fresh herbs in my cooking, they are so rich in flavours and packed full of yummy nutrients. The problem is that often when I buy a bunch of herbs, such as parsley, thyme, oregano or rosemary, I never use it all before it starts to goes off.
This got me looking into ways in which I can store my herbs without losing their fresh flavour and I came across this awesome idea. Not only does this way of preserving your fresh herbs keep that fresh flavour, they also become conveniently stored in a small amount of olive oil which I often use in my cooking anyway!
All you need is:
- Ice trays
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh herbs of your choice
How it is done:
The process is actually incredibly easy and won’t take up too much of your time.
- Firstly you need to organise everything you need and purchase your fresh herbs (or pick them from your herb garden!).
- Then wash your herbs and remove the stalks as you would normally when preparing a meal.
- Separate or pair your herbs as you like to use them and then place a generous pinch your herbs into each individual cube section of your ice trays. You might want to have some mixed herbs and others just one specific herb, - just make sure you label them so that you know!
- Fill the remainder of each cube with olive oil, making sure the herbs are completely covered in the oil, then cover with cling wrap and place on a flat surface in your freezer overnight.
- Once frozen, you can decant your herb and olive oil cubes into an airtight container and keep them stored in the freezer, ready to pop straight into your cooking pan!
So simple, so convenient and so delicious!