I love the Spanish seafood dish, paella, but I always find I walk away feeling bloated and heavy (perhaps I love it too much!?) However I have found this delicious recipe that uses cauliflower instead of rice. I personally feel it tastes even better, not to mention being healthier for you! It might not be a quick dish to make, but it is definitely worth it!
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 200 gm raw prawns
- 10 mussels
- 1/2 chicken breast
- 1 chorizo sausage
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 small red capsicum
- I onion, finely sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tin diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 pinch of saffron threads
- 1 lemon
- Fresh rosemary to garnish
- Prepare your ‘rice’ by chopping your cauliflower into manageable pieces before putting in a food processor on ‘pulse’ until it forms a rice-like texture. Then set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and saute the chorizo until it is lightly browned. Then remove the chorizo and set it aside.
- Cut the chicken up into bite-sized pieces and cook in the skillet until lightly browned. Then set aside with the chorizo.
- Add the onion, garlic, tomato and pepper to your skillet and cook until the onions start to run translucent.
- Add the cauliflower and chicken broth and stir until bubbling.
- Turn the heat right down, add the salt, saffron, paprika and allow it to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the cauliflower starts to go tender.
- Fold the prawns into the mixture.
- In a separate saucepan heat a small amount of water (about 2 cm deep). Rinse your mussels before adding them to the saucepan and then place the lid on so that they can steam for about 3-4 minutes. Discard any mussels that did not open and then add the opened ones to your paella, along with your chorizo and chicken.
- Remove from the heat and serve with a segment of lemon and a sprig of rosemary.