Want something warm and delicious for lunch that you know will give you the long lasting energy you need to get you through the afternoon? This deliciously creamy tasting soup is packed full of protein and provides a slow release of energy to keep you going strong! Plus it freezes well so you can store it in meal size portions to heat up at your convenience.
- 300g Chicken breast, cut into small cubes
- 100g brown rice, uncooked
- 100g frozen peas
- 50g raw almonds
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 celery stick, chopped finely
- 1 brown onion, chopped finely
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- Small bunch of parsley, washed, stalks removed and chopped
- 1 ltr. Water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp. Sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Cummin
- Combine the rice and the almonds in a food processor and blend until they form a fine powder, then set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the carrot, celery, onion and garlic with 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil. Cook over a medium heat, until the carrot begins to soften.
- Add the chicken, and cook for a further 3 minutes, stirring so that it cooks evenly.
- Add the water, almond and rice mixture and stock cubes and cook on low for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent from sticking or burning.
- Add the peas, parsley and cook for a further 15 minutes before turning off the heat and allowing it to sit with the lid on.
- In the meantime, prepare your sweet potato croutons by preheating your oven to 180c, then combining your sweet potato, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper onto a baking tray, with the remaining olive oil. Toss until well combined then cook for 10 minutes, before turning the croutons over and cooking for a further 5-10 minutes until they turn crispy (the time will vary depending on the size of your croutons).
- When cooked, remove and set aside.
- Ladle your soup out into a bowl and serve with a handful of croutons. Enjoy!