I am going to let you into a little secret of how to cook the perfect sweet potato in as little as 6 minutes, with no oil, no stove and no fuss!
Sweet potato is packed full of goodness, being one of the highest natural sources of vitamin A as well as being rich in B5, B6, niacin, thiamin, riboflavin and carotenoids. They are also an excellent grain free source of complex carbs and when cooked the following way, they rank low on the glycemic index.
They are often an overlooked vegetable when you are looking to cook a meal in a hurry because they can be timely and fiddly to prepare, but when you have a microwave, some paper towel and 6 minutes spare, they can be the perfect focus for an energy packed, low GI and satisfyingly delicious meal!
All you need is -
- Sweet potato (thinner ones work best)
- Kitchen paper
- Some water
- A microwave
How to prepare it -
- Firstly wash your sweet potato
- Then use a knife or fork to carefully pierce 10 - 15 small holes all over
- Wrap it in 2-3 sheets of paper towel so that it is completely covered and dampen the paper towels so that they are firmly pressed against the potato.
- Place in the microwave and cook on high for 3 minutes, then carefully turn over and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Then it is ready for you to remove the kitchen wrap and serve as you like.
Note: The thicker and/or larger the sweet potato, the more time they may require in the microwave. You can tell it is ready when it feels soft to touch and you can pierce it through easily with a fork.