I love making quiche because they are so quick and simple, yet always look and taste amazing, so they are a great meal option when you have surprise guests! I avoid gluten because my digestive system does not react well to it, so this recipe is for a pastry free quiche. Not only is it still absolutely delicious, it is also so much better for you!
- 5 eggs
- 1 small broccoli head, cut into florets
- 1 small red capsicum, deseeded and chopped
- 1 small yellow capsicum, deseeded and chopped
- 4-6 small mushrooms, quartered
- 1 small brown onion, finely diced
- 1 & 1/4 cups grated reduced fat cheese
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 Tsp. Sweet soy sauce
- 1 Tsp. Olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200c and prepare a medium sized quiche (or pie) dish by greasing the sides.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan and saute the onion with the capsicum for a minute before adding the broccoli. Continue to stir over the heat, adding the soy sauce and stock cube. You may wish to add a Tbsp. of water to help dissolve the stock cube. Continue to cook until the broccoli just starts to go lighter in colour (you are only partially cooking it), then remove from heat.
- Beat eggs in a mixing bowl and add the milk, half of the cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper, stirring until well combined.
- Mix the mushrooms with the broccoli and capsicum, before spooning the veggies out into the quiche dish. Pour the egg mixture over the top, using a fork to move the vegetables around making sure the egg is evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top then bake the quiche in the oven for about 40 minutes, or until set through and turning golden brown.
- Allow quiche to cool slightly before cutting up and serving.