Salad has a bit of a bad rep in that people think of them as boring rabbit food, that leaves you super hungry one hour later. However a healthy salad does not need to be boring by any means. In fact some of my favourite meals are salads like this brown rice salad with baked pumpkin, pine nuts and sundried tomatoes. It seriously tastes divine. The roasted pumpkin adds a nice sweetness to the salad and the pine nuts give it a good crunch. Best thing is it keeps in the fridge nicely for a few days, so make it in bulk and you have your work lunches sorted for the week. Hope you enjoy.
2 cups of butternut pumpkin, uncooked, diced (option: sweet potato)
1/2 cup of brown rice, uncooked
10 sundried tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/4 cup of pine nuts
Cracked black pepper and Pink
1/2 fresh lemon, juiced
1 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
1 handful baby spinach
1. Preheat oven to 180.C (360.F).
2. Place pumpkin cubes onto tray lined with baking paper, season with salt and pepper and bake in oven for 30 minutes or until soft and golden.
3. Cook the brown rice according to packet instructions.
4. Combine cooked pumpkin, brown rice, sundried tomatoes, pine nuts, baby spinach and parsley and season with salt and pepper. Toss with lemon juice and olive oil.
5. Enjoy warm, cold or re-heated.
This salad can be great warm or cold. Be sure to sign up to my newsletter if you want more delicious recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox.