I came across this little gem of a recipe the other day and tweaked it a little to make it vegan-friendly. The results? It tastes amazing, even if I do say so myself! It is a low fat, dairy free take on a creamy cauliflower white sauce.
- 1 medium cauliflower, stalk removed
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2-5 cloves of garlic (depending on how much you love garlic!), minced
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut oil
- 1/2 Tsp. Sea salt
- Heat the coconut oil in a medium saucepan over a low heat, then add the onion and garlic, cover them with the lid and saute for 15-20 minutes or until golden and caramelized.
- Half fill a large saucepan with water and a pinch of salt, bring it to the boil, whilst you cut the cauliflower into florets.
- Boil the cauliflower in the salted water for between 6-10 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain the cauliflower before transferring it into a blender along with the caramelized onion and garlic, the almond milk, vegetable stock, nutritional yeast, and salt. Puree until smooth.
- Then you are ready to use it! This sauce goes amazingly on pasta, roasted vegetables, steamed vegetables, fish, chicken and red meat. Enjoy!