As those of us in the southern hemisphere move into the warmer months (Yay, it’s Spring!), it is nice to have a refreshing a cool breakfast option, that we can feel confident will still give us all the essential nutrients needed to seize the day. This is why I enjoy making bircher muesli so much. Not only can I whip it up the night before, so I have one less thing to organise first thing, it is also delicious, cool and refreshing!
- 1 cup oats (try to avoid ‘oatmeal’ oats as they have been overly processed)
- 2 cups almond milk (dairy milk is also delicious)
- 1 Tbsp. Organic coconut flakes
- 1 Tsp. Honey (optional)
- 1 Tsp. Cinnamon
- 3 pitted dates, chopped finely
- 50g Greek yogurt
- 30g organic whey powder (or protein powder of your choice)
- 10g flax seeds
- 10g pumpkin seeds
- 10 gm crushed almonds (or any unsalted nut of your choice)
- Fresh berries for serving (optional)
- Combine the oats, seeds, protein powder, coconut flakes, cinnamon and dates in a large bowl, then pour milk over it. Make sure the milk only covers the mixture, if you need you can add a dash more milk, or water so that it is covered.
- Cover the bowl and leave it in your fridge to soak over night.
- When you are ready to eat your breakfast, dish out into a serving bowl, mix your yogurt through it.
- Sprinkle with fresh berries and a drizzle of honey, then enjoy!