It is that time of year again when pumpkin is dominating the fresh food section. So I thought I would share a gluten free recipe for a delicious pumpkin pie!
For the crust -
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
For the filling -
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups of steamed and pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla essence
- 2 tsp. Cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg powder
- 1/4 tsp. Clove powder
- Firstly prepare your base by preheating your oven to 200c and grease your pie tin.
- Then in a mixing bowl combine the coconut oil, eggs, honey, and salt together and use a fork to combine the ingredients.
- Sprinkle the coconut flour in until it forms a dough.
- Spread the dough out along the pie tin, so that it is even and neat (if possible!).
- Prick the dough in a few places with your fork, then bake for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly brown.
- Set aside and allow to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 170c.
- Now prepare your filling by combining the pumpkin, eggs, honey, spices, and vanilla together in a large bowl. You can use a processor or bamix to help blend it.
- Pour mixture into the pre-cooled pie crust and spread evenly.
- Cover the edges of the pie with foil, to prevent burning, then bake your pie for approximately 45 minutes, or until the golden brown and the center is set.
- Allow your pie to cool before cutting and serving.
- This pie tastes delicious with whipped coconut cream, or just the way it is. Enjoy!